By the time you read this blog, the eagerly awaited monsoon season must have begun or it is about to begin shortly. We all love rainfall, right? With the arrival of monsoon, the joy of splashing rainwater, playing with friends is a common sight. Although grown-ups may not enjoy the same way kids do, the joy is obviously visible on their faces and their body language.
No matter how enjoyable monsoon season is, the 2-3 months of downpour – light, moderate, to heavy, calls out for proper and complete health care. Else, the chances of falling sick or catching infections increases as the season grips the surroundings. Such infections delay the chances of a quick recovery.
So, to enjoy every drop of rainfall, may it be getting wet in the first rainfall or relishing fragrance of wet earth or maybe even gorging hot food with Masala Chai, you got to maintain your health. O no! Not through over the counter medicines, but good old and simple tips and tricks of Ayurveda.
Ritucharya is a term used in Ayurveda, meaning “to follow a lifestyle & diet that meets seasonal requirements”. During monsoons, it is natural to feel heavy, sweaty, itchy, irritable skin, weakness and bloated. Also, lack of appetite is caused due to imbalanced ‘Jatharagni’, i.e. digestive fire.
However, you need not worry about infections or diseases during this period, if you balance the three Doshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
- Vata governs the movements of the mind and body, controls blood flow, removes waste, breathing, etc. During monsoon, Vata gets aggravated.
- Pitta manages the heat, digestion, and metabolism of the body and maintains a strong digestives system. During monsoon, Pitta Dosha weakens ‘Jatharagni’ due to humidity in the air, causing digestion problems.
- Kapha commands the structure of the body which hold cells together and forms muscle, fat, and bones. Moisture and wet surroundings imbalance Kapha, which gets lodged in the respiratory system, leading to breathing problems, wheezing, and respiratory infections.
Ayurveda offers effective tips to help restore balance in all three doshas and keep diseases away. All you need to is follow below-mentioned tips.
- Do not sit or lie down on the floor since it aggravates Vata.
- To avoid bacterial infections, keep nails clean and well-trimmed.
- Prevent digestion problems by not sleeping during the day.
- Panchakarma therapy is ideal during monsoon to stay healthy.
- Do not stay in wet clothes, change immediately if you get wet.
- Eating fresh fruits, vegetables help in countering Vata imbalance.
- Avoid spicy foods and heavy lunch or dinner.
- To improve digestion, chew a piece of fresh ginger with salt, and lemon juice.
The above tips will safeguard you from monsoon diseases and allow you to enjoy the monsoon season to your heart’s delight.
Keywords: #monsoon #health #Vata #Pitta #Kapha #infections #fruits #vegetables #digestion