In the season of Varsha Rutu, chances of getting affected with various types of Vata disorders are more. Joint pain, Backache, Headache, Muscle pain, Muscle sprain, Joint crepitations, Joint stiffness, Constipation, Stomach ache etc. are seen in common. One who is seeking wholistic health throughout life must take preventive actions against these health ailments before hand. Basti, one of the Panchkarma is solution to it. Let us see about it.
Out of the five essential therapies which form the prime actions of the Panchakarmas or the techniques of thorough detoxification and overhauling the body, Basti Karma or the Enema therapy is regarded as the most important in Ayurveda healing. This is because this specific therapy aids greatly in balancing and combating the vitiated Vata dosha or the Air body humor, which alone is responsible for 80 types of diseases and disorders.
Types Of Basti Karma
- Aasthapan Basti / Nirhua Basti (Decoction Enema):
Niruha,isalso known as Asthapana Basti/ Decoction enema. Decoction mixed with salt, honey, ghee etc is administered. This type of treatment is predominantly used to treat arthritic conditions and nervous disorders, obstruction of urine, stools and flatus; menstrual problems and infertility. Herbal decoction and small amounts of oil are used to treat the ailments.
- Anuvasan Basti (Oil Enema):
Anuvasana is also known as snehabasti in which unctuous articles like ghee, oil, fat etc. are administered. Warm medicated oil is used in Anuvasan Basti. The treatment rejuvenates the body. People suffering from arthritis, sciatica, chronic constipation, flatulence, cachexia, nervous disorders like paralysis etc. eligible for Anuvasan Basti.
3. Matra Vasti (Low dose oil enema) It is sub-type of Anuvasana basti, in which, the medicated fats are administered in a dose of ½ of that of Anuvasana Vasti. It is advised for children, aged, who are habituated to long walking, carrying heavy weight etc. It conquers the Doshas, does not need strict regimen, gives strength, eliminates the wastes- faeces, urine etc. easily and is comfortable.
- Uttarabasti(Urethral or vaginal enema or douches):
Here, medicines are administered through urethral or vaginal routes. Thus Uttara Basti targets toward diseases of urinary and genital system. The medicines may be in the form of Kwatha / Kashaya (herbal decoctions) and Sneha (medicated ghee and oils). This Basti helps in eradicating inflammation of urinary bladder, prostate gland enlargement (BPH), morbidity of semen, erectile dysfunction, impotence, prolapsed uterus or vagina, diseases or morbidity of menstrual blood, infertility etc.
Efficacy of Basti Karma:
- Basti karma has the reputation to be half of the entire treatments that can be available to provide substantial cure and relief.
- Ayurveda justifies the efficacy of Basti karma with its possible outcome to balance all the three doshas viz. Vata, Pitta and Kapha. This is because whereas Basti balances Vata dosha, also when the vata dosha is balanced, the other two doshas i.e. Pitta and kapha would be balanced spontaneously. This is the best part of this particular Panchakarma therapy.
- It also nourishes and feeds the colonic flora.
- Basti also enhances the immune system of the individual by cleansing and nourishing the colon.
- Inside body, Vata is predominantly located in the colon and bones. Basti involves the introduction of medicinal substances, such as, herbal oils and decoctions in a liquid medium, into the rectum of the person. Thus it acts on headquarter of vata dosha, thereby puts the body into a state of total balance by normalizing and nourishing vata.
Procedure of Basti Karma:
- Medicated oil or ghee and herbal decoction is given as enema to clean the colon and increase the muscle tone. This procedure is usually recommended for 8 to 30 days, based on the medical condition of a person.
- While performing the Basti Karma, the patient who is taking the Ayurvedic Panchkarma therapy of Basti karma is advised to first lie on his left lateral position. The right knee is folded touching the abdomen. After this, the previously lubricated nozzle is pushed into the rectum for about 4 to 6 inches so as to make the oil or decoction enter and move through the colon. It is taken care that no air is infused and also that the liquid that is being inserted is at room temperature. The patient is advised to inhale deeply while taking the Basti. After the procedure, the patient is advised to hold the Basti for as much time it is possible for him and the soles of his feet are massaged.
- For Uttar basti, medicines are released through vagina in female and urethra in male as well as female patents in lithotomy procedure.