The strotas means the channel. It is derived from the root meaning to exude; to ooze; to filter; to permeate. Charak has defined it as meaning, the structure through which sravanam takes place. Srotamsi of the body comprise of the channels of different kinds. They may be sthula(gross, macroscopic) or sukhshma or anu(subtle or atomic in size or microscopic). In general usage, the term srotamsi comprehends all channels-big and small, perceptible and imperceptible- that compose the internal transport system of the body.
Important ones, among them, stated to be significant, from the point of view of practical utility are the following:-
|1.||Pranavah Srotas||Channels of respiration|
|2.||Udakvah Srotas||Channels of fluid or water canal distribution|
|3.||Annavah Srotas||Alimentary canals|
|4.||Rasavah Srotas||Lymphatic canal|
|5.||Raktavah Srotas||Vascular canal|
|6.||Mamsavah Srotas||Channels through which nutrition to muscle tissue is transported|
|7.||Medovah Srotas||Channels through which nutrition to adipose tissue is transported|
|8.||Asthivah Srotas||Channels through which nutrition to bone tissue is transported|
|9.||Majjavah Srotas||Channels through which nutrition to marrow tissue is transported|
|10.||Shukravah Srotas||Channels through which nutrition to reproductive tissue is transported|
|11.||Mutravah Srotas||Channels through which urine is transported|
|12.||Swedavah Srotas||Channels through which sweat is transported|
|13.||Purishvah Srotas||Channels through which faeces is transported|
- The strotases are extremely fine branches of bigger vessels which originate in such organ cavities as the hriday(heart)
- Arteries and veins are excluded from the purview of channels described as strotases
- The structure of the strotas is comparable to that of the fine channles and pores present in the lotus stem
- They transport and purvey rasa to all parts of the body, and rasa oozes through the pores of the strotases to nourish the sthayi dhatus.
- Strotamsi constitute the internal transport system of the body. They relate to the finer channels of circulation and pathways. They have a parallel in the vascular capillary bed and plasma membranes of cells, through which metabolically produced substances pass to and from the sthira dhatus.