1. Shankhapushpi improves memory. It is effective as a brain tonic for students. Shankhapushpi is an anti-anxiety drug. It is a mental stimulant. Brahmi, Shankhapushpi and Jeshtimadh are known as medhya rasayana. They decrease acetylcholine content of the brain and cortex. Histamine content is lowered in brain but raised in the cortex. The main action of Shankhpushpi is on the nervous system. It stabilizes the mind and so it is used in acute attack of mental disorders. It is used in Jvar or fever when it is associated with insomnia, delirium and anger. Shankhpushpi nourishes Dhatu or tissues and is a mild laxative. It is known as the best rasayan, general health tonic and also as a brain tonic.
3. Ashwagandha acts as a tonic in general weakness. Ashwagandha provides beneficial effects in anxiety neurosis. This herb is an active sedative. Ashwagandha possesses remarkable antibacterial, antitun and immunosupressive properties and is protective against carbon tetrachloride induced toxicity. It is useful in memory loss abnormality due to reduction in GABA or in acetylcholine or both neurotransmitters. Ashwagandha reacts strongly with GABA and hence useful in memory.
4. Shatavari is useful as a nutritive tonic. Immunomodulator tonic anabolic, growth promoter and adaptogenic. It is medhya rasayan so used as a good nervine tonic. It is anabolic acting as a growth promoter in children and increases body weight. It is rejuvinative, vitalizing and has mild aphrodisiac action. It is known to stimulate the natural process of galactopoesis by boosting maternal prolactin level so it is very good for pregnant women for lactoginesis.
5. Bhrungaraj is a popular liver tonic. It is hepatoprotective.
6. Amala is used as a tridoshajit, vrishya, rasayana[tonic]. It can be used as a brain tonic. In charak samhita Amala is described as a rasayana and a tonic. Source of vitamin C, nutritive, digestive, reinforcement and constructive. Builds up immunology.
7. Jesthimadh is used as a memory tonic mentioned as a medhya in charak samhita. Jeshtmadh is also credited with anti-hepatotoxic, anti-viral and anti-bacterial activities.
8. Sunth possesses hypolipidemic, anti-arthrosclerotic, anti-diabetic, and cardiotonic properties. Sunth increases appetite with the ayurvedic properties such as katu, vipaka and ushna virya. Sunth tones up digestion by stimulating digestive secretion. It restores metabolic function.
9. Jaiphal has cured acute hysteria. Jaiphal with cow milk is useful as a tonic for the heart and brain. Jaiphal checks diarrhoea and dysentry. It cleans obstruction in the liver function and also has sedative action. Jiwadaya Tej Pushpi helps in delaying the physiological changes associated with ageing. It revives physical capacity, raises the threshold of fatigue, and promotes well-being. Tej Pushpi facilitates cardiovascular functioning by improving circulation and reducing raised lipid levels. Tej Pushpi improves appetite, digestion, and assimilation. Tej Pushpi rejuvenates entire body system and retards the skin changes associated with ageing. Tej Pushpi improves memory span, concentration ability and stress threshold. Tej Pushpi also ameliorates attention, fluctuations, and behavioural disorders.
“Jiwadaya Tej Pushpi” is hence a Family Health and Brain Tonic