We use sunscreen to protect our skin from the summer sun’s damaging rays, but do we take the time to make sure our eyes receive the same protection? Ultraviolet light, long known to cause skin cancer, can also be absorbed by the eyes, causing a number of chronic eye diseases.
Overexposure to the sun can contribute to these common eye ailments
Cataracts, a build-up of protein on eye’s lens which can cloud vision. Pteryguim a growth of tissue on the cornea which can interfere with vision. Skin cancer which can form on the eyelids and areas close to the eyes. Age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision loss.
During the summer, the strongest UV rays occur between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and particular care should be taken to protect the eyes during those hours.
Prevention during summer
- Wear quality sunglasses to provide UV protection. Choose sunglasses with 100 percent protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
- Choose lenses that cover the largest area around your eyes.
- Choose lighter-colored lenses, which cut glare without changing the color of what you see. Consider photo chromic lenses, which darken when exposed to UV light.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat or a visor to provide extra protection.
- Do not look directly at the sun, even while wearing sunglasses. This can cause permanent eye damage.
- Don’t forget the kids! Children and teens should also wear sunglasses with the same level of protection as adult sunglasses.
Jiwadaya Netraprabha is one Ayurvedic product, which can be used for prolonged periods without side effects. Jiwadaya Netraprabha acts as an antimicrobial through Amla and Madh. The ingredients present in Netraprabha give it the ability to keep the eyes in good condition even after exposure to everyday pollutants.
Jiwadaya Netraprabha when applied stimulates the lachrymal glands leading to natural flow of tears rapidly flowing out of the eyes. These natural tears provide essential cleansing to the eyes. Further, this action takes place within 15-20 seconds after application thereby providing immediate relief from any feeling of irritation, heaviness or dryness in the eyes.
Jiwadaya Netraprabha is an effective medicine for treating Redness, Swelling, Irritation, Itching or Foreign body sensation in the eyes. It is an Anodyne – Collirium. The medicine is particularly useful when applied after removal of contact lenses since it prevents any infection or diseases that may occure due to prolonged use of the lens. Jiwadaya Netraprabha reduced swelling of the eyes due to late sleeping after reading during exams. It prevents eye allergy, harmful effect of glares, Photophobia (Difficulty in tolerating light), development of weak eye sight (Poor vision) and Dark circle around the eyes. The medicine is particularly effective in preventing and treating Dry Eye Syndrome due to watching T.V. or cinema, after driving vehicles at long stretches or due to working on computers.