Headaches are common. All of us experience it once in a while.However for relief from headaches, you have to know your own breathing style and change it in a way that it helps you to relax. Our breathing patterns are usually disrupted due to stress or unwanted changes in emotions. Below mentioned are a few relaxation exercises that will help you overcome headache.However you have to make sure that you are at ease and you do them in a quiet surrounding where there is no distraction.
1. Kapalbhati: To heal chronic headache or any kind of pain, Kapalbhati which is an excellent remedy acts as an excellent breathing exercise. Sit in padmasana and close your eyes.Rest hands in gyan mudra and focus on lower abs.Quickly inhale followed by slow and smooth exhalations.Complete kapalbhati with a cycle of deep inhalation and powerful exhalation.
2. Anulom Vilom: This is one of the most effective breathing techniques which is an ideal distressing mechanism for headaches that also restores your nervous system and helps improve circulation in your body. You have to sit in padmasana.Lift your left hand and make pranayama mudra using your palm.close your left nostril with left hand thumb and take a deep powerful inhalation using your right nostril.Now close right nostril and exhale through left nostril.Now keeping right nostril closed, powerfully inhale through your left nostril.Close your left nostril and exhale through your right nostril.Repeat this for several cycles
3. Bumble Bee Breath: To calm the mind, this method involves covering your ears with fingers and then making a humming sound like a bee.you have to sid in padmasana and put your hand on thighs.put index finger on cartilage of each ear and then inhale powerfully.As you exhale,apply pressure on cartilage while humming like a bee.Repeat this proces for 7-10 times.
4. Sitakari-Hissing Breath: This breathing exercise is very popular for curing headache.you have to sit peacefullu letting your upper and lower jaw meet with the teeth touching each other.Without moving your jaws, breathe in through teeth to allow cool air reach your lungs and repeat this process for several times.
5. Ujjayi-Victory Breath: This exercise is a part of pranayama and used to beat a bad headache.Overall it is a great breathing exercise.Sit down on the floor and slowly inhale air to fill your ribcage and stomach.Try lifting your upper body without letting your stomach expand outwards.Exhale all the air out of the body and repeat this process for several times
6. Abdominal Breathing: This breathing exercise helps relieve pain in the body.It is a great breathing therapy for headache which can be done for 5-10mins to achieve relaxation.Sit down in padmasana and think of a place right below your navel. Inhale air into it filling your abdomen and then let it out.Each Time you will feel more relaxed as you slowly exhale.
7. Rhythmic Breathing: If your breathing pattern is fast and short,you should start taking long slow breaths.Sit down and inhale air through nose till the count of 8.Hold your breath for the next 4 counts and later exhale air for the next 8 count.Continue this process to feel relaxed.
8. Bhastrika-Stimulating Breath: This technique of yoga helps you increase alertness. one needs to inhale and exhale rapidly through nose. This technique is a great energy booster for the body as well as headache. Sit in padmasana and rest your hands on thighs. Lift your left hand and shape your palm into pranayama mudra.close left nostril with thumb and deeply inhale and exhale quickly with maximum force possible through right nostril for 10 times. keep your right hand on your abdomen and with the 10th breath inhale and exhale deeply through right nostril.repeat the same with left nostril.
9. Breathing And Visualization: In a comfortable surrounding ,close your eyes, and slowly combine your breathing along with your imagination. As you inhale, imagine all the pure and healing energy of universe going inside your body and visualise all negative thoughts,stress,pain,tension etc moving out of your body as exhale.
10. Massage And Breathing:This is a great way to find some relief from that headache. For this you’ll need to massage your acupressure points while breathing deeply. Some of the acupressure points you can massage include the space between the big toe and second toe,the webbing between the thumb and forefinger and middle of the forehead.