It’s the world cup season and everyone is afflicted with the world cup fever. With special cricket menus to cricket stars dishing out their favorite recipes we have seen it all these days. So we at Herbs at Work too decided to soak into the cricket fever and decided to present our thoughts with a little Googly !
There are lots of things that we are used to doing in the usual way coming from the good old days. But a little twist in our eating habits and voila ! So this article – Googly in your bowl is about replacing a traditional food item with slightly new one – such that it not only appeals our taste buds but also results in a healthier you.
Broccoli – The Wonder Green
Broccoli is an edible green plant in the cabbage family whose large, flowering head is eaten as a vegetable. Broccoli resembles cauliflower, which is a different cultivar group of the same species.Below are the few benefits of eating Broccoli:
- Cholesterol reduction: Like many whole foods, broccoli is packed with soluble fiber that draws cholesterol out of your body.
- Reducing allergic reaction and inflammation: Research has shown the ability of kaempferol to lessen the impact of allergy-related substances on our body. Broccoli even has significant amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which are well know as an anti-inflammatory.
- Powerful antioxidant: Of all the cruciferous vegetables, broccoli stands out as the most concentrated source of vitamin C, plus the flavonoids necessary for vitamin C to recycle effectively. Also concentrated in broccoli are the carotenoids lutein, zeaxanthin and beta-carotene, other powerful antioxidants.
- Bone health: Broccoli contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis..
Add broccoli to your wonder diet.This wonderful veggie , apart from being a cancer combatant, goes a long way in protecting you from air and vehicular pollution.
Here’s a simple Recipe as prescribed by renowned celebrity chef Tarla Dalal herself . Broccoli and Baby Corn Stir Fry Broccoli and baby corn together make an interesting combination because they complement each other in appearance as well as taste. The cashewnuts add an element of crunch to this exciting mixture of vegetables.
1 cup broccoli (parboiled)
1/4 cup baby corn , sliced diagonally (parboiled)
1/4 cup onion cubes
1/4 cup capsicum cubes
1/4 cup french beans , cut diagonally (parboiled)
2 tsp finely chopped garlic (lehsun)
1 tbsp cornflour mixed with 3/4 cup water
7 to 8 cashewnuts (kaju) , lightly fried
2 tbsp oil , salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) powder to taste
1. Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan, add the garlic and stir fry over a high flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions, capsicum, broccoli, baby corn, French beans and stir fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add the corn flour paste, sugar, salt and pepper and simmer till the sauce thickens.
4. Serve hot, topped with the fried cashewnuts.
This can be an easy option for your child’s tiffin box too!