“When the heart is dry the eye is dry.” Said Victor Hugo, the famous French litterateur, and philosopher. The quote directly speaks about humans and the emotions linked to their lives and has no direct relation to eyes physically going dry. But, yes, we do understand, humans suffering from dry eyes can influence their emotions quite negatively.
Relax, we aren’t going to discuss literature or philosophy, but about Ayurvedic remedies on dry eye problem.
What is a dry eye?
Dry eye occurs when the quantity and or quality of tears fail to keep the surface of the eyes well lubricated. The most common symptom of a dry eye is a scratchy feeling, while other symptoms include pricking or burning sensation, episodes of excessive tears, followed by a period of dryness, irritation, pain, blurred vision, and redness in the eyes. The risk of developing dry eye increases with advancing age. Women have higher chances of dry eye problem compared to men.
What causes dry eyes?
The following are the primary causes of dry eyes.
- Ageing and menopause.
- Medicines like antihistamines, decongestants, oral contraceptives.
- Facial diseases that affect closing eyes completely.
- Deficiency of Vitamin A.
- Thyroid disorder, diabetes, and abnormal tear glands.
- Exposure to dry air, smoke, and wind.
- Staying in an air-conditioned room for a long time.
- Wearing contact lenses.
- Working on a computer for a long time without blinking.
How can Ayurveda help manage dry eyes?
Ayurveda is known for its character of removing diseases from their root cause. Ayurvedic herbs can help ease dry eye problem too. Here are few remedial tips.
- Cleanse eyelids and eyelashes with mild soap and water or use boiled water with Triphala Churna.
- Cover eyes with a warm & clean cotton cloth.
- Consume foods rich in vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Apply castor oil on eyes and lashes before going to sleep.
- Avoid exposure to dry wind, smoke.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid staring at the computer screen for a long time. Follow the 20-20-20 rule eye exercise.
- Dip a piece of cotton in clean rose water, place it over eyes and relax.
- Massage head with oil regularly.
- Take adequate rest.
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours every night.
Follow the above simple yet effective tips and feel the dryness of eyes waning.